When do you apply for a Householder Planning Application?

Planning Consultant - Chris Scott
Hi, I’m Chris,
I hold an MA in Planning and work as a Planning Consultant

This seems like an obvious question. A householder planning application is applicable to development within the curtilage of the dwelling. However, not all works come under a householder planning application. Furthermore, for some works, you may not require planning permission. First, it needs to be evaluated if the works can be completed under permitted development rights (PD)? If the answer is yes, you will not need to submit a householder planning application. Though you should consider a Lawful Development Certificate application.

What sort of Building Works come under a Householder Planning Application?

So let’s presume the project does not fall under PD, what sort of works fall under a householder application? Generally, this applies to all works within the curtilage of your home. So generally this includes extensions and modifications. It could include outbuildings or fences/boundary treatments over 1m next to the road, or over 2m high elsewhere on the property. Typically it could also include a conservatory, garage, carport or swimming pool. Dormers can fall under PD or a householder planning application. Typically a rear or side dormer is PD, while a dormer above the principal elevation of the property which faces the road requires planning permission.

Dormer Windows
Dormer windows on the principle elevations of a dwelling are not PD and do require a Householder Planning Application.

Works which cannot be completed under a householder application include creating another dwelling within the same curtilage. Another example would be to change the use of a building (or part of a building) within the curtilage. If you wished to construct a stable for horses, if this was within your curtilage depending on its size it could come under PD or a householder application. However, if for example, you own a field next to your home and the stables were proposed to be in that field, that would be part of a full planning application.

What do you need to submit to the Local Authority under a Householder Application?

Every planning application will include an application form providing details on the location of the site, the applicant/agent submitting the application and various details of the proposal. Part of the application form also includes the Ownership Certificate that needs to be completed. Please note, planning permission is linked to the land, not a person. Anyone can apply for planning permission on a piece of land, but the correct ownership certificate needs to be completed. Also required are a Location Plan (typically of a scale 1:1250 or 1:2500) and a Site/Block Plan (typically of a scale 1:200 or 1:500).

The Floor Plans and Elevations for the proposal need to accurately detail all of the proposed works under a Householder Planning Application

A Design and Access statement is generally not required for a householder application, however, a letter attached with the submission detailing the materials to be used can be useful. Generally, the floor plans and elevations which also need to be submitted will contain enough detail. It’s also worth noting that within recent years roof plans are now also commonly requested. This will be for projects which comprise of significant roof alterations or a new roof design as part of the proposals.

What other information may the Local Authority Request?

This is obviously a very open question as it depends on the specific local authority and the individual householder planning application. Some local authorities provide local validation lists. These local validation lists set out what they expect to be included with your householder planning application. Now, depending on the circumstances you may be asked to submit an ecology report to check for bats. You could have mature trees on the site that will be affected. Depending on the number and significance of those trees to be affected an arboricultural report may be requested. It’s possible depending on the circumstances you may be requested to submit a structural engineers report.

Bat Survey
The local planning authority may request a bat survey to be conducted if works are proposed to the roof space of a property – Image: eliteecology.co.uk

I want to build another Dwelling within the same Curtilage, does this come under a Householder Planning Application?

No, in this case, you would need to apply for a full planning application for minor development. Also note, you will have to pay more for a full planning application over a householder application. At this moment in time (2019) a full planning application for a new home is £462, while a householder application is £206. Really, it’s quite understandable why this is the case. To review an application for a new home takes a lot more time than for a small extension. There are many aspects of the design to review. Is there sufficient space on site to accommodate a new dwelling? Will there be issues with overlooking or overshadowing? Is there safe access to the highway? etc.

Scott Planning Services
This is an illustration of the plans I created for my own dwelling as part of the full planning application for change of use to a family annexe.

This turned out to be the case for my own dwelling. While located within the same curtilage as my parents dwelling it is a separate and independent building. As it was a redevelopment of a derelict building I was required to submit a bat survey and structural engineers report as part of a full planning application. As the property is located in the Greenbelt to secure approval I volunteered a planning condition. The condition states that the dwelling can only be used as a family annexe. Therefore this avoided conflict with Greenbelt policy against new dwellings.

Does a Garage Conversion require a Householder Planning Application?

If the garage is already attached and part of the original dwelling the conversions works could potentially be completed under PD. However, if the garage in question is a detached garage that you wish to attach to your dwelling this would require a householder planning application.

Some garage conversions will come under a householder planning application while others for conversion into a separate annexe will require a full planning application – Image: homebuilding.co.uk

When considering a garage conversion it’s worth exploring the planning history of the property. There may be a condition attached to the use of the garage purely for parking and storage purposes. Furthermore, local planning policy will need to be reviewed to asses if there could be potentially policy conflict. For instance, is there a local parking space policy requirement? Will including the garage as habitable space mean the property no longer provides sufficient parking provision?

Depending on the location of the property there may be other local policy restrictions in term of extensions. Typically within areas deemed to be rural and outside of a defined settlement boundary percentage restrictions on extensions often apply.


Assistance with Householder Planning Applications

If you have ideas of how you would like to improve or extend your home, please complete the contact form and we can discuss your project in more detail free of charge. Depending on the planning history of the site, future householder planning applications may need to consider the impacts of previous applications and permissions. Either way, I hope you found the above information useful 🙂